Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Six Degrees: Jennifer Love Hewitt: Cafe

Cafe (2011)

Synopsis
A good-hearted musician struggles to find a way to tell his beautiful barista coworker that he loves her, despite the fact that she is in a relationship. Meanwhile, regulars and customers at the cafe where they work have their own problems and encounters. A police officer keeps an eye on his wayward cousin, who owes money to a charismatic dealer, and a married man contemplates his relationship with a good-looking new acquaintance. However, one customer believes he is in fact the main character in a computer simulation of modern life, set in the cafe, all designed by a young girl.






My Thoughts
I've never seen or heard of this movie, but it sounded...interesting. Starts out pretty weird with some cops in a cafe and shots fired, and then one of those great flash back scenes to "Last Sunday," so hopefully we'll see why someone's shooting up a small cafe.

So far this movie is super weird. We've got a cop who has what I'm assuming is a less than law-abiding cousin he's looking for, a group of law breakers (though you're not really sure what it is that they do, yet), a weird writer in the corner who compares the population of West Philadelphia (break into Fresh Prince song HERE) to a blend of coffee (which I actually thought very interesting), a nervous coffee barrista who secretly loves his coworker, and a computer nerd whose computer tells him he's really just an avatar that she created along with his entire world...I'm confused...You?



It seems like you get to spend a movie people-watching in a cafe without them knowing. I'm a people-watcher, and sometimes I really wish I could hear what they were saying without being a creeper. The first half of this movie you get to meet everyone who walks through the door and hear what they're saying and learn about their lives without them knowing you know. And watching all the lives intersect, as they do in movies and sometimes in life, is intriguing.




The writer has a tatto that says "What a piece of work is man." I don't know why, but it really stood out to me. I guess if you people-watch at a crazy cafe all day, it would probably seem true. Although, if the whole world is just a bunch of avatars, it wouldn't really matter...This movie is quite weird...

Maybe this "programmer" is supposed to be God? She created this world and is always there listening and talking back to those who choose to "tune her in"...She created all the "characters"...She put free will into the programming...I don't know how I feel about the comparison, but it seems like you're supposed to make that leap...'

I, honestly, can't decide if I really like this movie or if I really hate it. It's one of those movies that you'll probably have to watch a few times to decide. Or you might just completely hate it the first time around. Have you seen The Fountain with Hugh Jackman? I had a similar reaction to that movie...had to watch it a couple of times before I was sure. You can't make sense of it really, but there's just something about it that draws you in...Anyway, give it a shot if you want, and let me know what you think!

Random Facts
The film takes place almost exclusively inside a real working West Philadelphia cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment